Saturday, October 14, 2017

Infographics Reflection

This week for my grad class we had to create infographics using different criteria.  I have had to make infographics in the past using various platforms.  I really like the idea of having students create their infographic in class as a way to show their understanding of a topic.  With my second graders I think I would begin with having them work in pairs.  This way they'd be able to help each other out.  It would be a great way to see what information students' felt was important to put in.  I could see having my students create an infographic to tell the characters, setting, problem, and solution to a story.  I could also have my students create one after we finish a science topic.  We have been working on Changes to Land in science.  Students could show and explain the Quick Changes to Land we learned about, as well as the Slow Changes to Land.  With my students being so young, I might even have them start by having us all create one together.  I could be doing one on my computer and projecting my screen to the class and students could be doing it from their computer, just so they could get the feel for it when they go to create their own.  This would give them a model and a step-by-step approach to creating one.

You could have students do an infographic on any device, as there are a variety of Web 2.0 tools that could be used to create one.  I would have my students probably just complete it in the computer lab. We could take one day to set up a Google Photo Album with the pictures they want to use.  This way we could also teach them how to cite their source of the photo.  The next time we have lab, students would be able to learn about the infographic tool of choice and start creating theirs.  Since all of my students have Google logins, I like the idea of using Canva for creating an infographic, as you can use your Google login to sign-up and get started.  Then students would be able to post their infographic to their Class Dojo stories page (online digital portfolio) to share with their families.  It's such a fun way to integrate technology, let students be creative, and show what they've learned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! :)